Saturday, December 6, 2008

Closing a chapter


Little Bug, originally uploaded by torri_g.

I've delayed on this post...well for several reasons and I'll leave it at that pretty much. As of last Wednesday and the long trip up to Tucson to see doctors, we are officially closing the chapter in Little Bugs life called "Living with Epilepsy". The first 250 mg of Depakote as dropped and all things are fine. Her second 250mg drop comes this Wednesday, and come December 24th on Christmas Eve, she will drop her final 250 mg dosage. Christmas morning will be the first time in 4 years 10 months that she is not going to have to hear me say the words "Did you take your medicine?" We will see the doctors one more time come June to see how she is doing with migraine issues, but after that we are done. Little Bug has the mutated migraines that may end up triggering seizure like activity, but that is just because migraines seem to enjoy messing with the women in my family by throwing in odd things. The other side effect of the last 4 plus years is having a Little Bug that seems to think that no matter what she is sick or needs to be sick to get the super amount of attention. However, since we are aware of just what is going on with that, and our full attention has turned to moving past that. There is a search for a good counselor going on via doctors in Tucson and a wonderful school nurse here to help us out. It has put me in a role of playing the mean Mommy that I don't think any of us really care to play, and I can say that doing the tough love thing is one that will make you want to stand up and accept the award for worst mother on the planet. I don't think that I am though...I think I'm doing what in the long run will be best for her. Now if I could just get her to stop throwing me such evil dirty looks. I do know that this chapter will come to close too, and hopefully before one of us has no hair left because of pulling it out from trying to deal with each other.

No comments: