Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas music


Well after lots of frustration with light strands, I'm happy to say that decorating for this year is done! I even finally got the Christmas music dug out and loaded some into the cd player. Which brings me to the topic choice for today. Thirteen days till Christmas and what is your favorite song?


I have two favorites...Silent Night and Little Drummer Boy. If you haven't guessed by the player that I added to the side bar, I love songs sung by Bing Crosby. My most favorite way to hear Silent Night though, is it being played with a flute, and just a flute. I started playing the flute when I was in third grade and played straight through high school. Sometime around fifth grade it became a Christmas eve tradition for me to play it for the family get together. The first year I was terrified beyond belief, and that pretty much stayed that way for the next couple of years. As each year passed and I got better at it the terror passed too. It was the same simple version every year and after the first couple of years I no longer even needed the sheet music to be able to play it. For whoever was hosting our yearly get together I would have a copy of the sheet music and make a decorated card with it in the center. I will admit that there were years as a teenager that I thought the whole thing was kind of goofy. However, a funny thing happened because of all those years...Every time I hear Silent Night playing I hear me and that flute. It doesn't matter who is singing it, or how good they are. I hear a flute playing it, and to me it is the most beautiful sound.

Little Drummer Boy...well that one was just my most loved song when I was little. I can remember my Mom having an record album (yes I typed record album!) that I would listen to that song over and over again. For the life of me I can not remember just who it was singing on the album, but I can remember that I just so loved his voice. There are several version by several artists that I love, but his voice singing it is the one that I want to hear.

Alright time to come out of the past and back to the present time. I hope that everyone has a good Thursday, and that all things holiday related are going smoothly. See you tomorrow for the Feline and Furball Friday post.

No comments: