Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Great morning out


??, originally uploaded by torri_g.

Sweetpea, Little bug and I had a great morning out wandering around in Reservoir Canyon area. It is a great area for finding lots of different birds, but we got a huge surprise when we wandered onto a trail that had tons of butterflies and moths. They were all sunning themselves this morning and walking on the trail had all three of us laughing as we ended up being surrounded by fluttering things. I have managed to identify two of the three different types of butterflies that I photographed except for the one in the picture here. I also have not yet been able to identify the moths that I got pictures of. So if anyone knows what this butterfly is please leave me a comment to tell me. If need be I can also post a picture of it with the wings up so you can see the markings on the other side. The girls and I are going back out again tomorrow morning to the butterfly trail to see about getting a better picture of the Western Tiger Swallowtail. That one did torment me so very much today, I just have to head back out to see about getting a better picture.

I hope that everyone is having a good week, and that there is lots of laughter shared with family.

1 comment:

Steven said...

Cool. Pretty colors too. I have no idea what the type is. I use this website for butterflies:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/

You can look at types by state. Each butterfly type regardless of color has a fairly unique shape. I've been able to ID most of my off the site.

Moths are another matter. I've had good luck on http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

Moths seem to be very seasonal, appearing at certain times all over. Sometimes I get a species name from whatsthatbug and then use that to search of the butterflies and moth website.