Thursday, November 29, 2007

Cheyenne's Doctors Appointment

Today was Chey's neurology appointment up in Tucson. I'm happy to report that I didn't feel like kicking the doctor off of a cliff. Okay so I wouldn't really do that, but I will admit to having thought about it a time or ten.

Anyway, he actually was very clear and once again agreeing that Chey does in fact have Epilepsy (DUH!!) but we are going forward with what Chey wanted at her last visit with him and that is to continue lowering the Depakote. So let's see a year ago this time she was on 2000 mg. The down to 1500, down to 1000, August brought her down to 750, and as of tomorrow she will be down to 500 mg. Come March 1st we will lower her down to 250 mg. The best news for me is that we don't have to go back to see Dr. OCD again till June 2nd!! Well, as long as everything goes well with the lowering of Chey's medication we don't have to see him. Knowing what I do about the medication if there is still going to be any kind of seizure activity we are now going into the zone where we could see it. So it is going to be with breath held, fingers crossed and several prayers tonight that tomorrow morning for the first time in just about 3 years that I will not be telling Cheyenne that she has to take her morning medication. I will have to make an early phone call to the school nurse to let her know just what is going on so that she and the teachers can keep an eye out for anything. Who knew that medication could be such a security blanket for a Mother? If all goes well over the course of the next 7 months, come June we will take a real look at ending her medication and putting a close to the years of Epilepsy.

Cheyenne by the time we got home was bouncing all over the house sharing her news with her sister, who were less than enthused about hearing all of it. I mean they love her and everything, and have hated the times that she has been so bad, but they don't have to take the Depakote so really... Cheyenne's hope is that she will be totally done taking medicine come the start of this summer. I would also like to see an end come to this one, and not just because it would also mean and end to seeing Dr. OCD. Chey has come a very long way in the last 3 years, and it would just be so good to see her so happy about no longer having to deal or worry about the "What if I have a seizure". So everyone reading this send good thoughts her way, prayers, angels, whatever you see fit to do. Like I said tomorrow I will start holding my breath and hoping for more good things for my Little Bug.

I hope that everyone is having a good week and that the weekend gets off to a good start.

No comments: