Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Next stop...Coconino National Forest

I said that I had more pictures, and after a couple of days of either having way to many issues or just being so busy, I'm finally going to get some more posted here. Flagstaff and the Coconino area was the next leg of our trip that we took. Actually Flagstaff was just our home base to sleep area. Busy town there and I know there were more than a few people that learned why you should make a reservation during the month of March. There was even one that Binky Sue and I got to watch in the lobby, that learned no matter how huge a fit you throw, no rooms means NO ROOMS!! She was fun to watch and listen to, even better was when the manager called the cops because she just would not leave. Ah the fun things you can see while traveling sometimes.

Coconino was a very pretty area to explore. We started out at the top of the area and had a very long and winding road to follow. The road is what I tried to get as good of a picture of as I could at the top lookout area. "S" curves, hairpin curves, "U" curves, and I think maybe even a couple of paper clip curves were thrown in there. The whole way down I was thinking about my Mom in the truck behind us, because there are several area's that you see right down the side and all you really see is how far of a drop it is. Oh and we did this road not just once...but three times! The first day in the area we did so much exploring of the area and then headed back out for the hotel, then the next day we went back through for our final day of exploring and then headed towards home. All was fine on the road till for my Mom till Binky Sue started talking about the huge rocks on the road that must have fallen from the above cliff areas, and then we had several cars that we ran into that were broken down on the very narrow twisting road. Now I did show everyone the map of the road before we even hit the area, and Mom said that she would be okay. I even laid out the plan of just what we were going to be doing and how many times we would have to be on that road, and she said she would be okay. Let me tell this...she wasn't so okay with it as she said she would be. I didn't get smacked for it, but she did tell me several times that she was really thinking about it. We stopped in the Call of the Canyon area and did just a very small amount of hiking. I think in fall would be a great time to be up there to take photo's. With all the red rock and trees turning for fall colors, and the creek running, I think some awesome pictures could be taken. That is just going to have to be another trip to the area.

I'm going to go ahead and end here today though, and pick back up tomorrow with some more pictures of the area. I hope that everyone is having a good week, and take care.

No comments: